Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) [FS#14]

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) [FS#14]
From: "Raimar Falke" <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:26:46 -0700

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:08:39AM +0000, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > > Related, be_common_24.c|h is used by the SDL backend, but the SDL backend
> > > can use any bit depth. How does that work? AFAICT, the SDL backend does
> > > not really need the be_common_24 code
> >
> > The fs library does use loads of functions from be_common_24.c directly,
> > and these are 24bpp only.
>
> I got the answer already: It uses 24bpp internally and the backends copy
> to whatever bpp depth they are in when they draw to screen. Then I really

> think be_common_24 should be renamed to be_common - the "24" is just
> confusing, hinting that there should be other numbered be_common_* files
> there one day.

That is the case. There is another "common" backend part planned. It will
use a palette with up to 256 colors. It will not support anti-aliased fonts
and no transparency and requires color restricted PNGs (like the one we are
using today) but it will provide the same BE interface. We need this for
low colors devices like PDAs.

So please leave all the files like they are now.

        Raimar