Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) [FS#14]

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) [FS#14]
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 02:45:31 -0700

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> The FS library seems to be written bpp agnostic - it leaves it up to the
> backend plugin to figure out which bpp depth to run in. Is this really a
> good idea?
>
> Related, be_common_24.c|h is used by the SDL backend, but the SDL backend
> can use any bit depth. How does that work? AFAICT, the SDL backend does
> not really need the be_common_24 code

The fs library does use loads of functions from be_common_24.c directly,
and these are 24bpp only. This seems like a pretty bad idea. What would
happen if the SDL backend decided to go 16bpp or 32bpp? So I think either
be_common_24.c|h should be renamed be_common.c|h and made bpp agnostic, or
some layer of indirection is needed here, or we mandate that gui-fs is
24bpp. I prefer the first solution with the last one as a temporary
measure.

  - Per