Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] [Freeciv-Dev](PR#9041) worker unit adjustments

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [Freeciv-Dev](PR#9041) worker unit adjustments
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:24:51 -0700

Per wrote:

>I suggest to increase its cost. It now costs 30 and the engineer costs 40.
>This is IMHO way too cheap, considering that settlers cost 40 _and_ 1
>population. So the attached patch changes worker cost to 40 and engineer
>cost to 60. This is still cheap, just a little less so.

I strongly disagree.  I think the cost is fine as it is.  Making them more
expensive would defeat the purpose of having them in the first place, which
is to make it easier to build terrain improvements.  Nobody would bother
building a worker when you can get a settler and found a new city at the
same cost.  IMNSHO, it's the settler that is way too cheap, and raising its
cost would help slow down smallpox and make terrain improvements more
worthwhile.  Plus, the settler costs 1 population because it can found
cities, so the comparison is inappropriate.

I also believe the worker should have no tech requirement, considering that
the settler requires none.  There should also be an option to start with a
couple of workers in addition to settlers and explorers.

Mike Jing