Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv-Dev](PR#9041) worker unit adjustments

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv-Dev](PR#9041) worker unit adjustments
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:15:58 -0700

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:24:51PM -0700, Mike Jing wrote:

> Per wrote:
>
> >I suggest to increase its cost. It now costs 30 and the engineer costs 40.
> >This is IMHO way too cheap, considering that settlers cost 40 _and_ 1
> >population. So the attached patch changes worker cost to 40 and engineer
> >cost to 60. This is still cheap, just a little less so.
>
> I strongly disagree.  I think the cost is fine as it is.  Making them more
> expensive would defeat the purpose of having them in the first place, which
> is to make it easier to build terrain improvements.  Nobody would bother
> building a worker when you can get a settler and found a new city at the
> same cost.

Yes, the worker has to be cheaper in the short and long run than a
settler. And perhaps some military units could get some working
abilities like creating fortifies too. (alpines, pioneers ...)

> IMNSHO, it's the settler that is way too cheap, and raising its
> cost would help slow down smallpox and make terrain improvements more
> worthwhile.

I said the same in the past, adjusting the settlercost the right way is
a good way to break the exponenential growth of ICS.

> Plus, the settler costs 1 population because it can found
> cities, so the comparison is inappropriate.

Yes, only settlers should cost population.

> I also believe the worker should have no tech requirement, considering that
> the settler requires none.  There should also be an option to start with a
> couple of workers in addition to settlers and explorers.

You can't build explorers from start too but you can start with some,
could be the same.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.