Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8914) ruleset starting units list

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8914) ruleset starting units list
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:07:46 -0700

> [use_less - Sat Jun 05 04:09:41 2004]:
>
> This patch makes the ruleset (units.ruleset specifically) specify a list
> of starting units, instead of using the server variables game.settlers
> and game.explorers.
>
> I also changed the civ1 and civ2 rulesets to match their starting
> conditions.
>
> Issues:
> - Should this be in units.ruleset?

Probably.

> - This specifies unit types instead of unit roles, so it is very ruleset
> specific.

That's fine on its own.  But it does mean it only works as a ruleset
option not a server option.

> - In some ways this is less flexible than server variables for numbers
> of settlers and explorers, as the ruleset must be changed to increase
> starting settlers or explorers.  Perhaps there should be a selectable
> set of starting.rulesets, or a server override?

This is a bit of a problem.  Many scenarios list a different number of
starting units.  However the savegame options are limited in that you
can only specify settlers and explorers.

Perhaps server options should be used to specify the number of units of
each *role*?  But then some roles overlap - with the current ruleset if
you specify 2 settlers and 2 workers you'll get 4 settlers.

Or maybe we could have ruleset-specified server options?  How could this
work?

> - game.settlers and game.explorers still exist, they're just ignored.

Bad.

> - There's still the Explorer flag in units.ruleset, which marks off the
> initial explorer unit, and is unused now.

Hmm.

----

You add a new define to utility/shared.h.  However this is
freeciv-specific and should be in common/, probably in game.h.  (This is
also true of a number of other defines in shared.h.)

jason