Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8818) bug with gui coordinates and stippling

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8818) bug with gui coordinates and stippling
From: "andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:32:37 -0700

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Even with this patch, the fog of war is still flickering while scrolling.
> >
> > Does the flickering disapear on your system? Perhaps the flickering is
> > somehow caused by the high pixel response time on my LCD monitor in
> > comparison to a CRT-monitor? But that doesn't explain why only the fog of
> > war is flickering.
>
> Well, the fog of war doesn't *flicker* for me.  It just isn't drawn
> quite correctly.  And this patch does fix it for me.

The flickering is uniform and evenly distributed over all the FOW-tiles.
After each redraw, the tiles alternate being too dark or too bright,
making it look like it flickers.

I can reproduce the flickering by moving the client window around on the
screen, with the option "show window contents while dragging" enabled.

I therefore think the problem is that my monitor isn't able to alernate
between black and green pixels quickly enough to make the mapview sliding
look smooth. I think my monitor has a 20ms pixel response time, which was
a pretty high end model some months ago.

The proper solution, IMHO, is instead of drawing the fog of war with
the current method (every other pixel is black), to modify the brightness
of the while tile. For example, make the whole fog of war tile 50% darker.
This is what Civ3 does, and I don't get any flickering there.

> Is your error the same as in PR#7065?  See
> http://freeciv.org/~jdorje/gtk2.png.

No, I don't get this error.

> Are you using iso-view or classic view?

iso-view