Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6007) Civ3: Different sea types

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6007) Civ3: Different sea types
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 18:38:05 -0700

> [i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Mon Nov 03 17:46:06 2003]:

> To all: Can you please define the properties of the new terrain types
> you wish to be added? This is not about the reasons why they should be
> added.

Here are two such properties:

- Generalization of F_TRIREME.  Currently "trireme" units are lost on
is_ocean terrains that are not is_safe_ocean.  Under civ3 (which easily
generalizes to other rulesets) the adjacent terrains don't matter, but
these are different terrain types.  And there's more than one of them.

So, I want to be able to say "unittype <type> has <chance> percent
chance of being lost if it ends the turn on terrain <terrain>".  However
this may be too general, especially if the chance can be modified by
veteran level and other (tech/wonder) effects (although perhaps this
could all be a single effect type, decreasing the loss chance by a given
percentage).

- Prevent some units from moving onto certain terrains at all.  Really
this is just a generalization of the current land/sea/air rules.  In
civ3 triremes can't leave the coast at all, and galleys can't go into
deep ocean (or so I'm told).

However the hardest part isn't adding the new properties of terrains.
It's changing mapgen to work without hard-coding the types of terrains.

jason