Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8482) heights in gtk2 production dialog

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8482) heights in gtk2 production dialog
From: "Daniel L Speyer" <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 05:47:56 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

>Daniel L Speyer wrote:
>

>>I'm not convinced on the usability angle (thunderbird, in which I'm
>>writing this, has uneven toolbars, as does almost everything else that
>>isn't built out of square icons) but I'll grant it on aesthetics, and I
>>don't care all that much, so here's a version with constant height.  It
>>calculates the relevant height and width once whenever a tileset is
>>initialized.  Works well under any circumstance I can think of.
>>

>The drawing of the flag isn't quite "right" in the current behavior, and
>your code doesn't fix this.

My code *removes* the flags.  I maintain that this is the right behavior.

The flags contain no information.  It is not an option to build a unit
for someone else.  The fact that the flags are all the same is a hint
that they tell the user anything.

They do take up space (limiting the number of options on the screen at
once) and look ugly (IMNSHO).  Therefore I've removed them.

--Daniel Speyer