Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-ai] Re: Recovering pupeteer

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-ai] Re: Recovering pupeteer
From: nikodimka <nikodimka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:39:02 -0800 (PST)

resending as the Cc: appeared to be wrong.

--- Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> nikodimka wrote:

> >>This can be a separate patch.  It shouldn't be enabled unless DEBUG is
> >>defined.
> >
> > Oh I see thank you.
> >

> >>I believe this is now in the common client code so it need
> >>only be changed in one place.
> >
> > please excuse my ignorance,
> > what is this "this" you are talking about?
> > what is in the common client code?
>
> IIRC the string that is displayed when you click on a tile is now
> generated by the common client code.

Ah! No.

I am talking about some other thing.
What I mean under "to show units' IDs on the canvas as shown names for cities"
is: inder *each* unit on the screen there is a string e.g. "103"
as there are strings "London", "Moscow" etc under each city.
Not upon the status panel, but right where the unit is.

This is needed because when using puppeteer you have to manage multiple units
from the command line. So you have to call them by names and the only
names they have are their IDs. so you type somthing like "irrigate 231".
And to know which unit is which, you have to see all their IDs at once.

So I am not sure about placing it under #ifdef DEBUG.
rather maybe I'd better place this under --enable-puppeteer in configure
and if puppeteer is enabled to make some menu point as "show unit IDs"

I have to think of it some more. Any suggestions and critics are welcome.