Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ2 maps to freeciv maps (basic)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ2 maps to freeciv maps (basic)
From: James Christensen <jmlchristensen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 13:07:25 -0800 (PST)

> Freeciv savegames are all text-based so there should be no bigendian
> bias.  I dunno about civ2 savegames.

The script is only for map files, although I'm working on the savegames.

Civ2 maps, savegames and scenario files are all binary and, I assume, platform
dependant. I don't have a mac and a copy of civ2 to test this on. Plus I am
pulling out the terrain and river overlay by checking the high and low nybbles,
which is going to break (?) on a bigendian machine.

> Civ2 looks like it uses a "natural" coordinate system.  To convert from
> natural to native coordinates you just divide the X value by 2 and round
> down (note this may break if you have a negative X value).  This is what
> map_to_native_pos does (though it's optimized).

Good, cause that's what I did (and it seems to work).

> Seems like you probably want to use civ2 for the rulesetdir?  And set
> other civ2 options from civ2.serv?

Since these are only maps, I was mostly interested in the terrain. I figure I
can always edit the file afterwards to use different settings.

James