Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7584) generalizing terrain in mapgen

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7584) generalizing terrain in mapgen
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:10:26 -0800

On 28/02/2004, you wrote:

> Most of the places that still hard-code terrain types - particularly
> mapgen - can't be generalized easily.
>
> My idea therefore is to add four desciptive integers for terrain:
>
>   wetness
>   slope
>   altitude
>   temperature

Maybe 'moisture' and 'gradient' would more accurate names for
'wetness' and 'slope'?

>These can be described in the ruleset either via a value 1-3 or a
string
>"low", "normal", "high".
>
>Mapgen can make use of this data, picking an appropriate terrain for
>each location.
>
>Maphand can make use of this data.  In global warming we increase
>temperature, decrease wetness, and pick a new terrain.
>
>I think the terrains would be:
>
>terrain      wet    slope    alt    temp
>grassland    normal    low    low    normal
>plains        normal    low    normal    normal
>desert        low    normal    normal    high
>forest        high    normal    normal    normal
>jungle        high    normal    normal    high
>hills        normal    normal    normal    normal
>mountains    normal    high    high    normal
>swamp        high    low    low    normal
>arctic        low    normal    normal    low
>tundra        normal    normal    normal    low
>
>Thoughts?

I would imagine that forest would have 'normal' wetness/moisture in
comparison to a jungle with 'high' wetness/moisture.  Jungle is retty
much another name for rain forest.

Banjo's 'any' idea is a good one too.

Could these variables perhaps be linked to qualities such as
irrigation time and movement cost?

     -Morgan