Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7279) Macro optimizations

To: a-l@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7279) Macro optimizations
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 00:55:20 -0800

> [rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Mar. Fév. 03 21:25:49 2004]:
>

> Be very very very careful with this approach ...
you too!
Topologies are not so simple,
There are many level of topologies concept:

the nice jobs of Jason, TF_ISO, are not a new topology but i new
indexing system of the map (changes in the shape is a side effect
related to the finite size  of map  )
the number of neighbours of a tiles and relation chip are the some. this
changing of COORDINATES is more or less easy to be done with macros.
Some mod as hexagonal  neighbours are a real topological change but is
local defined, only neighbours are touched, we can make it with macros too.

I am working in edges problems. In a finite map we aves singularities in
edges, we can end map ( elliptical flat map ) or make  wraps to extend
the map and avoid some of this local singularities (cylinder,torus,
Mobius, sphere like). This create global topological changes. To works
about it we need a global analyse of topology, this is the work of
normalize_map_pos  function.

Others mod, some very interesting, broken completely the simple topology
of map: interrupted cartographic, transfer portals. this need a more
hard work in singularities. (Imagine the radius of a city near a
transfer portals)

We need at last 3 level of topological work, local, global and singular.
Then 3 different approach of the problem:

Local- Macros are good for this.

Global- Virtual function best there, avoid complex cast to separate
globals topologies and make possible code optimization with
understandable code.

Singular- Actually i work in it avoiding cities and play near the
reduced dimension singular points at edges (end of map in flat and
cylinder, conical points in quincunial), i make this zones arctic or
ocean . But a real extension to augmented dimension singular
points(transfer portals) need to be hard thickened .

Best regards Marcelo