Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6174) Loading transports

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6174) Loading transports
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 05:06:50 -0800

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:33:02PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> All of this is quite feasible to code

I agree. Except the transporters-carrying-transporters this is all
about convenience. You can (will to be precise) always use the
load/unload command to move the transported-by status of a
unit. However we also want convenience to not force micromanagement on
the player. For this there are certain rules which should resemble the
expected behavior (mostly the current on).

> but doing it in steps (rather than one monolithic patch) isn't as
> easy.  But if this design is approved we can work on it and submit
> patches that work toward the goal.

We first should come to an agreement on the convenience rules and
other problem which need attention.

Let me start with the convenience rules:
 - if more units want to board a container than the container can hold
 the units are prioritized by their specialty. A missile carrier will
 first serve missiles and so on. If this doesn't solve the conflict
 the units are served on first-come-first-serve basis.

 - moving a unit into a tile which the unit normally can't go and if
 there is a container the unit will automatically get loaded into this
 container.

Other rules:
 - the unload action exists in two forms:
   * unload via a move (this is needed to embark from a ship)
   * unload on the spot (I also this is needed)
 - you can't (un)load a unit in a contained container (I think this is
 general enough)

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!"