Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7369) [RFC] Coding style

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7369) [RFC] Coding style
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 01:39:00 -0800

>> Note that the first is formatted "properly" according to the style
>> guide
>
> I searched the style guide before I posted this one and found
> nothing. While it contains examples of the first one it doesn't state
> anything about what should be used and what not.

I mean the intendation is correct.  AFAIK there is no rule about
indentation of general expressions.  Like

  some_really_long_variabe =
    some_really_long_expression();

versus

  some_really_long_variable
    = some_really_long_expression();

versus

  some_really_long_variable
  \t= some_really_long_expression();

(\t == a tab)

Though perhaps I am wrong.  (I prefer form #2, though this may vary
depending on the lengths of variable and expression.)

>> (and most editors will give you this).  AFAIK the style guide does not
>> specify a formatting for the second (and editors may be inconsistent).
>
>> So my preference would be: no-parenthesis for single-line,
>> parenthesis for multi-line.
>
> While this is also my personal preference it is inconsistent.

How is it inconsistent?  It applies just fine in either case.

On further reflection I agree with Per: rather than single versus
multi-line expressions it should be variables versus expressions.

jason