[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6966) root_req for other rulesets as well

To: morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6966) root_req for other rulesets as well
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 06:03:33 -0800

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> > No. It appears all special units are made available via the same tech
> > as the equivalent standard unit. Knights, Samurai, and War
> > Elephants are all made available by Chivalry. In general in looks
> > like Civ3 has a considerably smaller tech tree than Freeciv.
>
> IMO we need to be able to support that, hence units need to have a
> root_req as well.
>
> Per?

I still don't see why we "need" this ruleset feature, unless we "need"
100% Civ3 compatibility. The same game feature (nation special units) can
be implemented by using extra techs or other dependencies (eg buildings).

However, if this ruleset feature can be implemented without complicating
the code much, then I won't object to it if someone codes it. The root_req
for techs patch did not complicate other code much.

  - Per