[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: Re: (PR#7123) Metaissue for FS

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Betr: Re: (PR#7123) Metaissue for FS
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 05:22:00 -0800

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 04:39:53AM -0800, thomas@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > How you considered using Thomas/CapTVK's scans? They are black/white,
> > > IIRC, but quite nice drawings of ancient places. RT used to show one of
> > > them.
> >
> > I searched but didn't found them.
> >
> > Here's a sample
> > (ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/OLD/romeinse-eetzaal-b.png).
> > There should be a zipfile in /incoming containing a number of otherv scans
>
> It is ftp://freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/Freeciv-graphics-01.zip.
>
> > as well. I have plenty more at home and i would be happy to provide more
> > if need be.
>
> I took the harbour picture because it was big enough. The cropped
> version is at:
> http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/harbour-of-athens.png
>
> Do you have any suggestions for the placement, size and color of the
> various controls? Just changing the background image and using the
> previous settings gives
> http://freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs3_pics/screen-0000.png. Which doesn't
> look good.

Do not use the black and white drawings for the intro screen. Games intros
must be glossy and colorful, like the cover of a magazine. They must
invite the player to try the game.

The black and white drawings would make excellent backgrounds for the
several reports. Those do not need flash or color.

Real photographs, 3D renders or 2D art will do for the intro.

Regarding indentation, I suggest left-aligned for the entry captions, with
':' in front of text, as per the GNOME HIG. Do not be afraid to use bold
text, games use it a lot.

Consider implementing keyboard acceleration for the various controls in
the future.

Regarding color, white/yellow on black/blue are nice. Red on black is also
nice. Fluorescent green is most definitively not in. :-)

When in doubt, remember: black and white look good with any color of the
rainbow.

Regarding overlays of text over complex drawn backgrounds: always add an
outline around the text. The outline should always be black unless the
text is black or very dark, in that case the outline should be white.

The reason should be obvious:
http://webreference.com/graphics/column20/art/psout.gif

> > > Also, using real photography is an option.
> > >See eg the file pd_images.zip
> > > in Freeciv incoming.
> >
> > Most of them would be ok for wonder/improvement/tech icons. But IMHO
> > only the earth picture are general enough.
>
> I agree.

---