[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the usual clash of personal style

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the usual clash of personal style
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:37:58 -0600

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 10:00:09PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> From: Paul Zastoupil [mailto:paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > >
> > > So how would you stack up Freeciv project achievements compared with
> > > those of your day job?
> >
> > To answer your question, based upon this,
> > Freeciv has achieved more for me.  This is the main reason
> > why I involve myself in it.
>
> Ok, taking that as a given, do you think maybe you should change your
> game job?  So that you're getting a commercial experience at least as
> beneficial to you as your Freeciv experience?

Given that this is the *FREECIV* development list, how exactly are
Paul's personal choices regarding non-FreeCiv work relevant to anything?

> Which from my end, only says something about the type of person you are
> vis a vis me.  Probably you are not the kind of person who likes to hear
> when things suck.  You probably think everyone should always be nice,

You are wrong.

> that nobody should ever get irritated about the way others make
> decisons.  People should ask and be gracious, they shouldn't yell and
> force issues.  I have an image of you at a tea party, talking about how

You are wrong here as well. Really, you have forced few issues, if any,
other than to claim that nobody here is as worthy a Game Designer as His
Royal Highness Brandon Van Every, Owner Of Two Domains.

More to the point, you have demonstrated a serious lack of understanding
of how Free Software projects can and do run, and your inability to
learn from atempts people have made to educate you -- and your complete
ignorance of a majority of them -- make me wonder if this lack of
understanding is feigned for rhetorical purposes.

Then, you use that ignorance as the basis for your attacks on the
project and its programmers, which by the way, you don't appear to be
able to identify.

> > Even if
> > there is valuable information in the things you have brought up, the
> > manner in which they are presented makes the ideas seem repulsive.
>
> To you.  And to others with your kind of interpersonal sensibilities.

I think that very few people give much consideration to ideas that are
given in the form "I am an awesome Game Developer, own two Domain Names,
and know many people at the GDC.  You are a sucky technology peon and
your game sucks and everything about your project is crap.  You should
really submit to my will in every way, and implement the following ideas
to the letter."

The above paragraph is pretty much the entire content of what you have
posted to this list.

Nobody here has taken the bait. Nobody else is telling you what an
awesome programmer or designer they are.  That is because they do not
need to.  We know who here is a capable person because we see code.

From you, I have seen an ego, very large, and a website that says "This
is the placeholder for domain indiegamedesign.com."

You go on about some Mars thing that appears to be entirely vaporware.
You have not shown anybody even one line of code, and you use as an
excuse that you were rebuffed.  BS!  FreeCiv is GPL, and nobody can
rebuff you from writing good code for it.

> This seems to have gotten you a day job that you don't like as much as
> your hobby.  Why should I listen to you?  Here's my return advice: get
> what you want out of things.  And ignore / bypass people who can't /
> won't help you do that.

Excellent.  Does that mean we should all killfile you then?