[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7029) Rfc: Fleshing out/extending the tech tree

Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7029) Rfc: Fleshing out/extending the tech tree
From: "Mark Metson" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:34:52 -0800

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, raven@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Colonizing other planets as part of the game rather than the end of the
> game?  I've always thought this would be great, but I'm not sure how to
> implement it well.  First we'd need rulesets that made things balanced
> enough for the games to even last that long, and then we'd need some way
> by which the first person to get interstellar space flight wouldn't just
> mine the whole astroid belt, build solar collectors over half of the moon,
> and suddenly have 10x the resources as anyone else.

I would like to be able to plug freeciv planets into a larger game
framework, so that as an alternative to colonising other planets as part
of the single isolated game, one could when one reaches another planet -
or maybe even when developing deep-space astronomy or when your SETI
project actually finds someone out there - somehow decide where your
current planet sits within some larger framework that could encompass
myriads of games.

The possibility for alternate timelines and alternate universes would be
included, but assuming one universe there would be billions upon billions
of galaxies your planet could turn out to be located in, and vast milieus
during which little-to-no intergalactic interaction is feasible. Thus you
might just need to pick an existing galaxy of players to join up with, use
whatever decision-making system they have chosen to decide where your
planet fits inside thier universe, then somehow integrate your currently
in play planet - and maybe a whack of savegames of other planets you've
already played - into that universe.

I already had a supercluster-of-galaxies project long ago, and part of my
interest in a free open-source "on-planet module" was in order to be able
to zoom in in ridiculous amount of detail on any one planet. Using
savegames with fixed randomising-seeds might be a way to do that. Each
planet in a galaxy could derive its seed from its galactic co-ordinates,
thus not even needing to save seeds anywhere, the co-ordinate could be the
seed. Then generate the planet. Use such a fixed background as the default
setting for an unplayed galaxy, then have a database to over-ride those
default fixed planets for galaxies that have started to deviate from their
default history due to the activities of players...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/