[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7029) Rfc: Fleshing out/extending the tech tree

Cc: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7029) Rfc: Fleshing out/extending the tech tree
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:47:47 -0800

> [raven@xxxxxxxxx - Mer. Déc. 10 07:21:24 2003]:
>

> >>Colonizing other planets as part of the game rather than the end of
the
> >>game?
> >>
> >I would like to be able to plug freeciv planets into a larger game
> >framework, so that as an alternative to colonising other planets as
part
> >of the single isolated game, one could when one reaches another
planet -
> >or maybe even when developing deep-space astronomy or when your SETI
> >project actually finds someone out there - somehow decide where your
> >current planet sits within some larger framework that could encompass
> >myriads of games.
> >

>  > [etc., *snip*]
>
> I'd -love- to see that.  It would be very -very- hard to balance that
> though.  I've been working on a ruleset where I'm trying to cut a lot
of
> the things that allow one person to zoom drastically ahead of anyone
> else.  I've slowed the game down so you're units aren't out-dated by
the
> time they get where you're sending them, turned off all the wonders
(I'd
> like to make national improvements that everyone can build instead,
but
> I've had trouble with that due to hardcoded stuff and my own lack of
> understanding of how it's put together), if I could I would eliminate
> the population boosting effect of upping luxuries.  I've made so minor
> changes to a few unit stats, to improve the defensability of cities.
> Also, I've been using the settings in game.ruleset which allow for
tech
> leakage: it's cheaper to develope tech when other players have it.
> Which is a very cool setting, and is finally useful for single player
> mode (in CVS) now that AI make treaties and trade with each other.
> Alliances can get ahead on tech, but not without making it easier for
> other's to catch up.
>
> Anyway, seems like the first step towards something as big as your
> talking would be to get a varation on the rules where it's balanced so
> multiplayer games ever last to space travel at all.  Next is figuring
> out some way to rig it so players only meet in interstellar travel if
> they're decently evenly matched.  Perhaps having interstellar contact
> would be an opt-in arraingement out of game by the players, with the
> help of detailed game stats to decide if it would be a decently fare
> match.  Or something.  Willy-nilly galactic combat would get old real
> quick, if you had somebody with a huge multisolarsystem empire
sticking
> a few Star Destroyers in orbit around a pre-industrial planet.  Just
> plane suck for the players in early game, and no chalange for the
> Galactic champion.
>
> Hypothetically, I really like the idea though!
>
> --Zack
We can get a variation of my idea of colonizing moon,
The spaceages civilizations can colonize her moon and/or other asteroids
concurently when other planets. we need to make colonize asteroides very
difficult (as space travel). we no colonize others planets or moons,
only asteroids. all conlons need to be send from own planets!
                         Marcelo