[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx, rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 00:57:31 -0800

> [jdorje - Sun Dec 07 07:05:42 2003]:

> The user interface needs to be smoother.  Arbitrarily flipping the
> mapview isn't good.  I think the way to solve this is by not normalizing
> the mapview origin.  So if I scroll upwards over the north pole I
> shouldn't see the mapview flipped; this is very disorienting.  Instead
> the view should just continue upward in its flipped state.  In theory I
> could continue scrolling up and flip it back.

I realize now that this is the way you do it, it just wasn't working
because clipping was being done unnecessarily.

But on further reflection, I'm not sure that's a good idea.  It makes it
hard to figure out when tiles need updating.

Another method would be to change the orientation of the mapview itself.
 Then we'd track the mapview orientation (a dir8 or dir4 value) along
with the rest of the mapview parameters, and take this into account in
all operations.  When centering on a new position we'd normalize the
orientation relative to the new position.  As a side effect, the user
could rotate the mapview by hand.  I made a partial patch to do this a
long, long time ago.

jason