[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6707) Announce server on LAN

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6707) Announce server on LAN
From: "andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:30:33 -0800

Here's an updated version of the LAN announcement patch.

The current code works in the following platforms:
SuSE Linux 8.2, NetBSD 1.6, SunOS 5.9 and Ms Windows (Cygwin).

I think it now is portable to most platforms supported by Freeciv,
however, to be on the safe side, a autoconf test for IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP
can be added, since some very old platforms doesn't support multicasting.
I don't know how to add such a test to autoconf, and I haven't found
something like this anywhere with google. (I suspect that an OS without
multicasting isn't able to compile the rest of Freeciv anyway...)

From the previous discussion of which multicasting group to use,
I set the default multicast group back to 225.0.0.1. Only servers
that have joined this group responds to requests from clients. No
root-access is required, and no setup has to be done to join this
multicast group. This is supported on all platforms that I have tested.

I've also fixed the other problems reported by Raimar, except
"GUI code can be unified more". Could you be a bit more specific? I don't
know how to do this, without rewriting the metaserver list also.

 Andreas Røsdal