[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocati

To: awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocation failure
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:10:12 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 05:23:42PM -0800, awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> >On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:09:28PM -0800, awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >What a monster game!
> >
> >The serialized attributes are corrupt. Attributes are used by CMA to
> >store the settings. This corruption causes the funny effect of wanting
> >a very large amount of memory at the deserialization.
> >
> >It looks similar to PR#2838. Also in the current case the savegame
> >looks wrong after part 44.
> >
> >I have no idea what caused this.
> >
> >Can you reproduce this? Can you list everything which is not-normal in
> >your usage? Like multiple clients.
> >
> >The most likely cause I can imagine is that the client got
> >disconnected during the attribute sending. And since attribute sending
> >isn't atomic you end up with a mix of old a new data in the savegame.
> >
> >     Raimar
>
> My usage works generally like:
>
> start server
> start client
> connect client to server
> start game
> client times out
> reconnect client to server
> while (1)
>   do unit actions for the turn
>   buy improvements
>   (Sometimes) kill client
>   start & connect client
>   finish turn
> repeat
>
> I kill the client occasionally because otherwise it has a nasty tendency
> to keep taking memory until I run out of swap, at which point I need to
> kill it anyway to get anything done.  I believe that when I finished the
> two turns preceding the savegame that I hadn't done this, and that
> instead during the 'finish turn' process, after I had finished one turn
> and the message window for the next year had popped up but before I had
> the chance to perform any actions in the new year, the client timed out
> and disconnected.

So I think we found the an error (disconnected during the attribute
sending).

There are still the other errors that the client gets disconnected and
that the client leaks memory.

What client do you use? A few leaks were fixed last week in the gtk2
client. So this client shouldn't leak (but is slow otherwise).

What CPU do you have? How much memory?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers