[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocati

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocation failure
From: "awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:04:05 -0800

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:09:28PM -0800, awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>What a monster game!
>
>The serialized attributes are corrupt. Attributes are used by CMA to
>store the settings. This corruption causes the funny effect of wanting
>a very large amount of memory at the deserialization.
>
>It looks similar to PR#2838. Also in the current case the savegame
>looks wrong after part 44.
>
>I have no idea what caused this.
>
>Can you reproduce this? Can you list everything which is not-normal in
>your usage? Like multiple clients.

Hmmm... I tried to reproduce it, and got this error instead:

1: Cannot find sound spec-file "stdsounds".
1: To get sound you need to download a sound set!
1: Get sound sets from
<ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/sounds/sets>.
1: Will continue with disabled sounds.
2: LANGUAGE="en-us"
civclient: attribute.c:238: unserialize_hash: Assertion `inserted'
failed.
Aborted

I don't know if this was related.  What I had done after connecting was:

Build city
Irrigate + roads (~24 engineers total) around the one remaining sea.
Disband 3 engineers to hasten building in 15 D
Buy Super Highway through in City No. 6 through the Cities dialog.
Kill client (left-click in close button in the corner)
Save game on server
Kill server
Start server using saved game
Start client and connect
Start game
Client crashes

The savefile for this one is at

http://www.stanford.edu/~awilkins/game-09-+0987b.sav.gz

Looking at the savefile, it seems corrupted in the same place but in a
different manner--after attribute 44, nearly everything seems to be '00'
or '01'.

>The most likely cause I can imagine is that the client got
>disconnected during the attribute sending. And since attribute sending
>isn't atomic you end up with a mix of old a new data in the savegame.
>
>       Raimar

Alex Wilkins