[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocati

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocation failure
From: "awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:23:42 -0800

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:09:28PM -0800, awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>What a monster game!
>
>The serialized attributes are corrupt. Attributes are used by CMA to
>store the settings. This corruption causes the funny effect of wanting
>a very large amount of memory at the deserialization.
>
>It looks similar to PR#2838. Also in the current case the savegame
>looks wrong after part 44.
>
>I have no idea what caused this.
>
>Can you reproduce this? Can you list everything which is not-normal in
>your usage? Like multiple clients.
>
>The most likely cause I can imagine is that the client got
>disconnected during the attribute sending. And since attribute sending
>isn't atomic you end up with a mix of old a new data in the savegame.
>
>       Raimar

My usage works generally like:

start server
start client
connect client to server
start game
client times out
reconnect client to server
while (1)
  do unit actions for the turn
  buy improvements
  (Sometimes) kill client
  start & connect client
  finish turn
repeat

I kill the client occasionally because otherwise it has a nasty tendency
to keep taking memory until I run out of swap, at which point I need to
kill it anyway to get anything done.  I believe that when I finished the
two turns preceding the savegame that I hadn't done this, and that
instead during the 'finish turn' process, after I had finished one turn
and the message window for the next year had popped up but before I had
the chance to perform any actions in the new year, the client timed out
and disconnected.

Alex Wilkins