[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocati

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6831) [CVS 2003-11-10] GTK+ Client Memory Allocation failure
From: "awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:03:17 -0800

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 05:23:42PM -0800, awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

>> >On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:09:28PM -0800, awilkins@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> >What a monster game!
>> >
>> >The serialized attributes are corrupt. Attributes are used by CMA to
>> >store the settings. This corruption causes the funny effect of wanting
>> >a very large amount of memory at the deserialization.
>> >
>> >It looks similar to PR#2838. Also in the current case the savegame
>> >looks wrong after part 44.
>> >
>> >I have no idea what caused this.
>> >
>> >Can you reproduce this? Can you list everything which is not-normal in
>> >your usage? Like multiple clients.
>> >
>> >The most likely cause I can imagine is that the client got
>> >disconnected during the attribute sending. And since attribute sending
>> >isn't atomic you end up with a mix of old a new data in the savegame.
>> >
>> >    Raimar
>>
>> My usage works generally like:
>>
>> start server
>> start client
>> connect client to server
>> start game
>> client times out
>> reconnect client to server
>> while (1)
>>   do unit actions for the turn
>>   buy improvements
>>   (Sometimes) kill client
>>   start & connect client
>>   finish turn
>> repeat
>>
>> I kill the client occasionally because otherwise it has a nasty tendency
>> to keep taking memory until I run out of swap, at which point I need to
>> kill it anyway to get anything done.  I believe that when I finished the
>> two turns preceding the savegame that I hadn't done this, and that
>> instead during the 'finish turn' process, after I had finished one turn
>> and the message window for the next year had popped up but before I had
>> the chance to perform any actions in the new year, the client timed out
>> and disconnected.
>
>So I think we found the an error (disconnected during the attribute
>sending).
>
>There are still the other errors that the client gets disconnected and
>that the client leaks memory.
>
>What client do you use? A few leaks were fixed last week in the gtk2
>client. So this client shouldn't leak (but is slow otherwise).
>
>What CPU do you have? How much memory?
>
>       Raimar

I use the GTK2 client.

Actually, it's likely that I experienced the memory leak problem was
with a CVS version from before last week, as I don't update my client
religiously, and I only updated to the most recent CVS version right
before I submitted the bug report to make sure the problem still existed
in that version.

CPU is a Pentium III, 800 Mhz.  I have 512 MB of RAM and 2 GB of swap;
the client was apparently taking up around 370 MB of RAM and 1.7 GB of
swap when (as that is the amount that was freed after I killed it).

It also appears that the timeout-after-start issue is gone now; at
least, it didn't happen the last two times I've tried.

Which reminds me that I need to file a bug report about sorting in the
city dialogs not working correctly, since that is still present and
doesn't appear to be in the bug database; I'll do that later today.

Alex Wilkins