[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:23:28 -0800

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:59:51AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> >
> > After some thinking I now fully agree with Ross' position.  The option
> > "haspoles" is completely unnecessary.
> >
> > The behaviour should be:
> >
> > * separatepoles = 1, N-S wrap off: two separate arctic continents
> >
> > * separatepoles = 1, N-S wrap on : one separate arctic continent
> >
> > * separatepoles = 0, any wrap: no specially crafted separate arctic
> > continents, but the normal continents will have colder terrain in extreme
> > north and south coordinates (as in the other cases).
>
> But I say again that's not what the separatepoles option does.  All it
> does now is control whether the arctic continents (which exist in any
> case) are separated from the rest of the terrain (via make_passable or
> directly in initworld).
>
> I think what you're saying is that the separatepoles option is unnecessary.
>
> Also, I'm opposed to manditory polar terrain.  The torus world without
> any poles can lead to a fairer competitive game, which will be desirable
> for a lot of people.

I think the same. A map without arctic terrain (and without dessert)
can lead to a much fairer game.

Realismus isn't needed for all games. Espacially in duells and teamgames
you need equally distributed terrain. And that should be reachable with
normal option switches.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.