[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:59:51 -0800

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> After some thinking I now fully agree with Ross' position.  The option
> "haspoles" is completely unnecessary.
>
> The behaviour should be:
>
> * separatepoles = 1, N-S wrap off: two separate arctic continents
>
> * separatepoles = 1, N-S wrap on : one separate arctic continent
>
> * separatepoles = 0, any wrap: no specially crafted separate arctic
> continents, but the normal continents will have colder terrain in extreme
> north and south coordinates (as in the other cases).

But I say again that's not what the separatepoles option does.  All it
does now is control whether the arctic continents (which exist in any
case) are separated from the rest of the terrain (via make_passable or
directly in initworld).

I think what you're saying is that the separatepoles option is unnecessary.

Also, I'm opposed to manditory polar terrain.  The torus world without
any poles can lead to a fairer competitive game, which will be desirable
for a lot of people.

jason