Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Possible confounding of ability to see troops in field

To: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Possible confounding of ability to see troops in field problem
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:55:42 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Jason Short wrote:

> --On Wednesday, October 22, 2003 3:28 AM -0300 Mark Metson
> <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > It occurs to me that possibly the problem with the units display showing
> > the wong info might be confounding my attempt to check whether the city a
> > troop in the field is claimed to come from is unhappy on acocunt of the
> > troop being in the field. Maybe some of the apparent problem might be it
> > was lying about which city the troop was from so maybe I was checking the
> > wrong city.
> >
> > But I was suspecting something wrong with the troops in field thing back
> > in the old 1.13 before coming to this 1.14 beta that keeps lying about
> > the  unit data. So I do think something is wrong someplace in the troops
> > in  field unhappiness and/or the suffrage wonder.
>
> Can you provide a specific situation (e.g. savegame) in which you think it
> doesn't do the right thing?
>
> It's certainly possible that the behavior does have bugs.

It is starting to seem more likely that it might be doing the right thing
just maybe in a rather confusing way. I am right now looking at Calgary
having built a bomber thus gone into disorder but it shows no unhappyfaces
on the bomber and one on the battleship. Intuitively it should be the
bomber, not the battleship, that is causing only one unhappiness. But I
suspect what it is doing is totalling the unhappiness, arriving at three,
then subtracting two for the suffrage, resulting in one, then allowing
that one to "float" so it happens to land on the battleship instead of the
bomber. So it happens that the cops/feminists found it so easy to mollify
people about the bomber being as how its not actually flown away yet that
they have managed to also partly mollify people about the battleship that
is actually out in enemy territory. Confusing, maybe misleading,
intuitively it seems more sensible that it should fix the two unhappiness
caused by the battleship and leave the one caused by the bomber alone,
especially given the bomber is the new thing that caused the riots. It
just doesn't seem right, in a democracy, to see only one unhappyface
instead of two on a unit, unless of course the fact there is only one is a
tip-off that that unit is (a) a field unit and (b) not actually in the
field. Which doesn't apply to the battleship, it applies to the bomber.

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/