Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4108) Bad feedback with auto explore

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4108) Bad feedback with auto explore
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:48:47 -0700

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:31:28PM -0700, Mark Metson wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > I was given this issue. I can only say that there is a chance that
> > this can be changed with the exploring agent. However in the current
> > code the server does the exploration. This means that the server would
> > have to tell the client that there is something to auto-explore or
> > not. This leaves out the third solution: a hack on the client side
> > which checks if there are any unknown tiles on the island.
>
> Are unkown tiles the only things worth exploring? What about tiles that
> were known once but might by now have changed or become occupied by enemy
> units or maybe even be considering spawning some barbarians? I cant
> remember whether barbs require completely unknown tiles or tiles that just
> havent been looked at recently.
>
> I suppose if there are no unfogged tiles there might not be much left to
> explore but certainly if there is any fog you should go explore the fog if
> you have already explored the completely unknown. Finally maybe even if
> there is nothing unfogged you could head to wherever the lack of fog is
> least "dense" or is created by unfortified units, on the theory that
> unfortified units might move and once they move they might leave fog
> behind so worst case choice of place to explore might be such places that
> seem potentially un danger of becomiong fogged...

The original request was a bug in the implementation. You now suggest
a new feature. Note that if an explorer has completely explored (no
more unknown tiles) an island it is a good idea to ship this explorer
to the next island.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot."