Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4108) Bad feedback with auto explore

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4108) Bad feedback with auto explore
From: "Mark Metson" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:31:28 -0700

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> I was given this issue. I can only say that there is a chance that
> this can be changed with the exploring agent. However in the current
> code the server does the exploration. This means that the server would
> have to tell the client that there is something to auto-explore or
> not. This leaves out the third solution: a hack on the client side
> which checks if there are any unknown tiles on the island.

Are unkown tiles the only things worth exploring? What about tiles that
were known once but might by now have changed or become occupied by enemy
units or maybe even be considering spawning some barbarians? I cant
remember whether barbs require completely unknown tiles or tiles that just
havent been looked at recently.

I suppose if there are no unfogged tiles there might not be much left to
explore but certainly if there is any fog you should go explore the fog if
you have already explored the completely unknown. Finally maybe even if
there is nothing unfogged you could head to wherever the lack of fog is
least "dense" or is created by unfortified units, on the theory that
unfortified units might move and once they move they might leave fog
behind so worst case choice of place to explore might be such places that
seem potentially un danger of becomiong fogged...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/