Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6373) Endgame command not working.

To: Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6373) Endgame command not working.
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:41:30 -0700

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:07:37AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> >>You can't load a game until the server 'resets'.  The server doesn't
> >>reset until all clients disconnect.

in the new connection paradigm this is no longer necessary and in fact is a
little strange.

> > Is there a command "reset"?
>
> No.

endgame should be sufficent for what you're talking about. It might be nice
to have a reset command to reinitialize all options and rulesets to their
defaults though.

> Per would know better than I, but I'm pretty sure there's a reason it's
> done the way it is.  You can't just arbitrarily cancel the game or load
> a new one without resetting all the necessary data first (so the
> suggested "fix" for this is most likely very wrong), and it may not be
> possible to do this at all with players still attached.

for CVS, no there is no good reason that I can think of. You do need to
reset data first but that's done every time a game is loaded, so that's not
a big deal. All memory leaks were killed off when '/load' came into
being.

to end a game you simply need to change the state variable back to PREGAME
and send that notification to all the clients. They should get the proper
message. That was taken care of in the recent '/take' changes.

-mike