Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6345) starting positions for scenarios

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6345) starting positions for scenarios
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:42:21 -0700

Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Jason Short wrote:
>

>>The current method of putting down starting units in scenario games is
>>highly flawed.  It attempts to match up nations with starting position
>>IDs so that the scenario can specify which nation goes where.  But the
>>nation is referenced by ID too, so
>>
>>1.  With lots of nations, it just doesn't work.
>>2.  When a new nation is added, all existing scenarios have their
>>starting positions invalidated.
>>
>>I'm not sure how this _should_ be done, but the current method is pretty
>

> How about storing the civ name strings with the starting positions and
> matching the nations by name?

That would seem to be the correct way.

Elsewhere it was suggested that we find a matching spot for the nation
to start based on a few terrain types given for that nation.  This is an
interesting idea, but not particularly useful IMO.  We can't do this for
randomly generated games, since it would imbalance gameplay (give an
advantage to certain nations).  And doing it for scenarios is inferior
to the method you (Vasco) suggest.

jason