[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#5568) add I_DEMOLISHED Impr_Status

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#5568) add I_DEMOLISHED Impr_Status
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:21:59 -0700

[kauf - Fri Sep 12 22:52:40 2003]:
> frankly I hate the idea of survivable effects. In fact, how's
> about this: Right now there are two (2) surviving effects in all
> the rulesets. They would be Enable_Space and Enable_Nuke. These
> are both World-ranged effects and are the whole reason there is
> this mess. Would it be simpler to just special case these two
> properties? I foresee:
>
> [snip]
>
> In the absolutely simplest case, we have the (immediate) effects
> Enable_Space and Enable_Nuke, which are active as soon as the
> improvement (or tech etc) is built and then are deleted soon
> afterwards. The only work they do is to flip game.can_space and
> game.can_nuke to TRUE; These variables would of course have to be
> saved in savegames and transmitted to the client in the game_info
> struct. Presto, surviving effects.
> Downsides:
> these effects are Global-ranged only and always survive improvement
> destruction.
>
> There are alternatives. We could have four effects: Enable_Space,
> Enable_Nuke, Enable_Space_Survives, Enable_Nuke_Survives. The
> first two effects would be normal effects. The latter two would
> act like those in the previous paragraph.
>
> Alternately, we could allow Player ranged effects as well but
> that would require the pplayer->can_space and pplayer->can_nuke
> variables. I don't really want to go for smaller range than that
> because it gets messy and demands island-range and the such.
>
> This is such a great idea, in fact, that unless I hear great
> bitching with good reason behind it, this is what I'm going to do.
> There shall be only two surviving effects and they shall be special
> cases. (This means that the I_DEMOLISHED flag will not be necessary.)

I too hate the idea of demolished buildings having an effect; having a
Wonder flipping a flag immediately upon being built makes much more
sense.  However, I don't like the idea of having special, hard-coded
flags, especially if 1.) they both work in the same manner or 2.) they
could work in more than one way.

Instead, I suggest having such flags defined in the rulesets.  Then it
should be quite easy to add additional effects that survive the building
that produces them.  (Also, this might even be easier than trying to
hard code the different variants.)

--

++JohnWheeler