[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5568) add I_DEMOLISHED Impr_Status

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5568) add I_DEMOLISHED Impr_Status
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:08:16 -0700

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, John Wheeler wrote:

> Instead, I suggest having such flags defined in the rulesets.  Then it
> should be quite easy to add additional effects that survive the building
> that produces them.  (Also, this might even be easier than trying to
> hard code the different variants.)

This sounds like a great idea, although a long-term one.

For instance Manhattan could provide flag "1".  Nukes would require flag
"1" to be built.  Apollo would provide flag "2", which is required for
building of all spaceship parts.  These flags are not hard-coded but must
simply match between providers and requirers.

Having them be alphabetic rather than numeric would be easier for ruleset
authors.  The alphabetic flags ("can_build_nuke", "can_build_space") can
be converted into a numeric value (0,1) at ruleset load-time and
henceforth used solely as a bit-vector.

But, this does not have to be done immediately.

jason