[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6009) Civ3: Movement bonus at enemy territory

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6009) Civ3: Movement bonus at enemy territory
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:19:38 -0700

I think and hope that feature compatibility or equivalence with any of the
PayCiv variants is always an implicit goal of Freeciv.

But implementation with the "gen-" flavoured modular architecture and user
configurable rulesets means that lots of variants not found in PayCiv can
be easily configured and played. I always have a number of PayCiv rules I
want to adjust, and this feature of Freeciv is a big advantage.

There is no reason not to include modular features and ruleset options not
found in PayCiv, but the debate on value, balance etc. probably has somewhat
higher thresholds for them to be acceptable and divert resources from the
implicit goals. Widespread enthusiasm is a good threshold reducer ...

Freeciv is not an allpurpose games framework yet, so many features may just
not be in the relevant gamespace.

Cheers,
RossW
=====