[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit, the worker

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit, the worker
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:42:41 -0700

Rafa³ Bursig wrote:

> Dnia 2003.08.27 00:00, Per I. Mathisen napisa³(a):
>
>>This has been debated before, so this is mostly to get the question
>>up for new debate and hopefully eventually a decision:
>>
>>We should add a worker unit to the default ruleset. This unit has
>>less build cost, no population cost and no food upkeep, but can
>>improve terrain. The engineer is changed likewise, and obsoletes the
>>worker instead of the Settler. When Automobile is researched, Settler
>>movement is increased to 2.
>

> As I alwas say spliting current settler unit to "settler" and "worker"
> is very good idea but reduction build and upkepp cost is IMHO wrong
> decision.

  I play with rules where workers cost and consume as much as settlers
with standard rules. Instead, settlers are very expensive to build (2
pop points being real limitation to settler building). With these rules
building city improvements is more attractive possibility than founding
new cities, with expensive settlers, to bad locations -> less smallpox.
  IIRC civ3 settlers also cost 2 pop points and workers 1 pop point.

  - Caz