[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit, the worker

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit, the worker
From: "Rafa³ Bursig" <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:18:26 -0700

Dnia 2003.08.27 00:00, Per I. Mathisen napisa³(a):

> This has been debated before, so this is mostly to get the question
> up for new debate and hopefully eventually a decision:
>
> We should add a worker unit to the default ruleset. This unit has
> less build cost, no population cost and no food upkeep, but can
> improve terrain. The engineer is changed likewise, and obsoletes the
> worker instead of the Settler. When Automobile is researched, Settler
> movement is increased to 2.

As I alwas say spliting current settler unit to "settler" and "worker"
is very good idea but reduction build and upkepp cost is IMHO wrong
decision.

Current "settler/work" units are luxury for your empire. Real power of
empire is number of settlers that can be supported during turn to
improve terrains, clean polutions/fallout, etc. You must use them whise
and protect them on map.

Your changes Per will reduce those "workers" units to normal status and
allow build "hord" of this units. I see this in AC and I think those
rules reduce game balance and don't make AC my favourite game ("clean
reactor" completly destroy that game but that other story).
Reduction pop cost and food unkeep will totaly change game balance and
tacticks.

It break civ1/2/3 legacy with freeciv then I say...

"Leave default pop cost and food upkep settings in civ1/2/3 style, when
somebody want play without pop and food cost then he will simple change
this in his privat rulesets or use mod that do it"

> The introduction of the worker should make largepox strategies
> easier, since cities can be grown faster and better (irrigation &
> road) without sacrificing increasingly expensive city size
> (increasing granary size) and throttling city growth (settler food
> upkeep).

This change will have nice influence in our multiplayer RTS (easy game)
but in single it only reduce your fun (here word "easy" isn't our
target).

When you want make some balance in largepox vs smallpox then lets allow
workers/engineers "collet/mine/get" resources like normal city worker.
(something like "supply unit" in AC) This allow your big cities get new
resources even there is no space left on city map, becouse you will get
those resource from outside city map.
When workers/engineers will have food upkeep then they will look like
normal city workers.

Rafal