[Freeciv-Dev] Re: text based client possibilities

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: text based client possibilities
From: nikodimka <nikodimka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:36:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:48:29AM -0700, nikodimka wrote:
> >
> > the architechture looks like:
> > civserver<-civclient<-textual input.
> > where <- is a socket connection.
>
> Why not make a text mode client and use the infrastructure of
> /client/common?

Because my goal is not a text mode client.
The goal is to allow such things as client-side AI adviser, for example.
Which keeps track of what you doing and does ~something ;)
And the puppeteer interface is in fact a textual _protocol_.

> Then you can connect two clients to player@civserver: text mode to control
> and GUI as observer. At least I think so.

The text mode client can in fact implement the very same protocol
not through socket connection to GUI client
but on the basis of /client/common.

Right now I have chosen the architechture I have chosen
because I dont want to dig into existing freeciv code
and assume observer as being unstable experimental feature.
I can be wrong in this assumption.
Anyways right now my interest/experiments laying in the area of commands
not in the area of architectural implementation.

nikodimka.