[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Trading/Resources in FreeCiv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Trading/Resources in FreeCiv
From: evyscr <evyscr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 17:23:23 +0400

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:43:43 +0100 (BST)
Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. By playing various starcraft-like games I concluded that the number of
> various resources should not exceed 3.  Above 3 it is just a big bother,
> an unnecessary and annoying complication.  And Freeciv already has food,
> trade and shields.

But... Look to real world. Very complex. And who can say that real resources
are unnecessary?

> 2. While Civ3 strategic resources idea is noble it's not workable, in the
> sense that it doesn;t change the gameplay in any significant way to
> justify the existence of such a bother.  It is still a game about taking
> much territory.

War in the real world is very high prices. In freeciv there is no similar.
So while war and peace have no economic (and other) difference, we should
not nave "justification of existence" (a very good phrase to me).
(BTW In Russia-Japan war in 1904-1905 cost of war was (to Russia) 1.5 mlrd,
the budget in 1903 was about 2.5 mlrd rubles)

Sincerely yours, evyscr.

PS Freeciv is more than civilization clone!