[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Trading/Resources in FreeCiv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Trading/Resources in FreeCiv
From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:26:35 +0100

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:05:30AM +1300, Morgan Jones wrote:
> Take for instance the oil terrain special.  Obviously oil is an
> important resource throughout history, but it takes on an entirely new
> level of significance in the era of the combustion engine.  The
> default setting for oil is 4 production.
>
> Perhaps this could be changed to, for example, 2 production.  Then
> when a player has researched an appropriate tech (Refining would be a
> good candidate) this allows them to build say,  an Oil Refinery.  This can
> only be built in a city that is adjacent to an oil tile (using
> spec_gate) and when built provides the city with 2 further production
> shields, bringing the total to 4.

This seems pretty harsh.  By the time combustion is an issue, I
don't really see anyone building a city improvement for the sake of
getting just 2 extra shields per oil tile their city is adjacent to.

Wouldn't it be better to just say that certain resources like oil,
iron, etc. produce more shields when you have a particular tech
(iron working, combustion, ...) and the tile is mined?

To me, mining is a high-level way to say that you're dedicating this
tile to resources not agriculture so it would seem appropriate that
mining an oil tile would mean building an oil well and enough
pipelines to get it to the city which is within 2 tiles.

--
> > > The optimum programming team size is 1.
Has Jurassic Park taught us nothing?
 -- pfilandr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, news:comp.lang.c