[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv Worms tileset report.

To: Martin McMahon <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv -Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv Worms tileset report.
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:07:02 +0100 (WET DST)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Martin McMahon wrote:

> Hi,
> I think that using Worms, the word worms should be ok , I mean if you
> cant use certain words then you cant use sim"city" "the" sims ect and
> with out the and city freeciv would look and read all wrong, having to
> use another word instead of worms is taking the copyright thing too
> far imho  . I remember I film once that had someone copyright the
> number 1 and no- one could use the number one without paying money to
> do so , this is exactly that :)
> Use the word worms , but clearly have no links or ties with worms the
> game. I think  worms was first out on the Amiga ?

Yes it was on the Amiga first. Done IIRC by Team 17, the ones which also
made the current version.

However you do not seem to realize how the world today is so panicky with
trademarks. Yes, even of commonplace words. Remember the Microsoft
lawsuit against Lindows?
Even if Team 17 probably would not bother, it may not be ok with their
publisher. We are a volunteer effort and cannot afford litigation of any sort.

If changing the name of the tileset to 'snails' helps to reassure them we
are not attempting to misuse their trademark, it is a small price to pay.

---