[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4781) phantom units?

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: kimiko@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4781) phantom units?
From: "Daniel L Speyer" <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:30:47 -0700

I've seen this too -- it can be very annoying.

There's no point in looking for a savegame of it: it's clearly a
client-side problem.  The server knows the units are dead, and they have
no effect on the game.  The client never noticed, so it displays them
anyway, and refuses to send goto through their ZOC.  It is worth noting
that they do not consume upkeep in the cities they are homecitied in.

Usually they are marked as having 0 hit-points, which should be easy to
deal with (just throw in a check to see if damage is down to 0, and kill
the unit).  On the occasions which are otherwise, I *think* that it's
always because the homecity was captured.  The server seems to forget
which clients know about which units, and doesn't tell them about the
disbandings (they may not know about the captured city).

I'm away from my main computer and stuck on dial-up at the moment, so I
can't really look at it, but I suspect the server is forgetting to send
unit-death packets.

Hope this helps,

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."