[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4781) phantom units?

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: kimiko@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4781) phantom units?
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 12:45:37 -0700

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Guest wrote:

> Sometimes enemy units are visible, but aren't really there. That is, my

Ha, I got it (well, at least one instance):

handle_unit_attack_request sends combatants' info to many connections,
which isn't a mistake.

What is a mistake is that the client doesn't remove this information
properly: in client/packhand.c handle_unit_info, if unit is not new
something like

if (!(tile_get_known(punit->x,punit->y) == TILE_KNOWN)) {
  cient_remove_unit(punit);
  refresh_tile_mapcanvas(dest_x, dest_y, FALSE);
}

should be added.

This should be done by somebody who knows what is happening in this
function, and tested too.  The current behaviour when both combatants are
displayed for a brief moment even though one of them might be under cover
of fog should stay imo.

I attach a savegame whcih should be helpful.  Connect to Israelis
and Carthagians.  Attack French explorer with Carthagian warrior.  The
warrior will be briefly displayed on Israelis' client (center on Israeli
explorer).  When you move Israeli explorer, you can see the phantom
Carthagian warrior which is no longer.

G.