Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4693) rewriten veteran code

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4693) rewriten veteran code
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 05:17:45 -0700

I wrote:
> > As a bare minimum, you
> > should have a default setting in the ruleset, which is applied to
> > every unit which does not have its own veteran settings, and then
> > remove these settings from every unit that does not have non-default
> > settings.

I meant, of course, to say: "and then *add* these settings to every unit
that we want to have non-default veteran rules". I guess you understood
anyway.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:
> Unlimited veteran icons is only secoundeary effect of that code.
> Each unit type can have own veteran icons pack.
> if you not define those individual icons client will use default pack
> and this is impemented.

No. This is a very, very bad idea. We need to make one good set of veteran
level icons and implement these for all units. The players need to learn
these. There should not be different veteran level icons for different
kinds of units, as this will be seriously confusing for players. This
principle also holds for all modpacks.

> > > I plan add expirience model ( something like RPG )
> this "solve" nothing only add new functionality.
> I don't like current "random" veteran model and want implement
> expireince level model.
>
> your unit will get expirience during actions and when reach next level
> will get next veteran status.
> > What is "veteran_random_model"?
> this will switch random/expirience model

Ok, but then I want it done properly. I strongly suggest you leave it out
of this patch and do it as a separate patch. We need to rethink how
Barracks (Unit_Veteran effect) and Sun Tzu (Unit_Vet_Combat effect) work
with this model. I would also suggest we move over to this model, and just
ditch support for the random model for simplicity.

  - Per

"This is the future for the world we're in at the moment,"
promised Lawrence Di Rita, special assistant to Rumsfeld.
"We'll get better as we do it more often."