Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4693) rewriten veteran code

To: bursig@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4693) rewriten veteran code
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:54:56 -0700

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Rafa³ Bursig wrote:
> This is my version of 4044...
> Added :
> 1) unlimited number of veteran levels.

Why? How do you plan to introduce an unlimited number of veteran level
icons for units?

> 2) each unit type has own veteran level settings.

Why? Your patch makes units.ruleset very ugly. As a bare minimum, you
should have a default setting in the ruleset, which is applied to every
unit which does not have its own veteran settings, and then remove these
settings from every unit that does not have non-default settings.

However, I do not really see the point in adding this complexity.

> I plan add expirience model ( something like RPG )
>
> exp = ploser_unit->build_cost / 10 + (ploser_unit->veteran -
> pwiner_unit->veteran);
> pwiner_unit->exp += (exp > 0 ? exp : 0);

Again, I do not see why this should be added. What problem does this
solution solve?

What is "veteran_random_model"?

The only thing that IMHO was lacking from the previous patch was support
for unit veteran icons. Daniel Speyer made some for us, see
http://www.leftist.net/perrin/tiles.png, and if we add support for these,
that patch is ready to go in.

  - Per

"This is the future for the world we're in at the moment,"
promised Lawrence Di Rita, special assistant to Rumsfeld.
"We'll get better as we do it more often."