Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4693) rewriten veteran code

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4693) rewriten veteran code
From: "Rafa³ Bursig" <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:40:20 -0700

Dnia 2003.07.26 10:54, Per I. Mathisen napisa³(a):

Hi Per

First I don't say that my code is ready to go in,
this is only first version of this code.

> > 1) unlimited number of veteran levels.
>
> Why? How do you plan to introduce an unlimited number of veteran
> level icons for units?
Unlimited veteran icons is only secoundeary effect of that code.
Each unit type can have own veteran icons pack.
if you not define those individual icons client will use default pack
and this is impemented.

> > 2) each unit type has own veteran level settings.
>
> Why? Your patch makes units.ruleset very ugly. As a bare minimum, you
> should have a default setting in the ruleset, which is applied to
> every unit which does not have its own veteran settings, and then
> remove these settings from every unit that does not have non-default
> settings.
Yes you have right and I want do it in this way, but current I want
have some (semi) worked code to show you this idea.

> However, I do not really see the point in adding this complexity.
This give us nice flexibility...
1) unit type can have subclanses
2) land , sea, air units can have differnet veteran names.
3) this allow us add individual combat settings
(missels shouldn't have veteran levels)
4) SMAC mode: mindworm units have different veteran names
5) large flexibility to mod creators
etc.

> > I plan add expirience model ( something like RPG )
> >
> > exp = ploser_unit->build_cost / 10 + (ploser_unit->veteran -
> > pwiner_unit->veteran);
> > pwiner_unit->exp += (exp > 0 ? exp : 0);
>
> Again, I do not see why this should be added. What problem does this
> solution solve?
this "solve" nothing only add new functionality.
I don't like current "random" veteran model and want implement
expireince level model.

your unit will get expirience during actions and when reach next level
will get next veteran status.

This will be nice not only in normal game but think about all fantastic
mods

> What is "veteran_random_model"?
this will switch random/expirience model

> The only thing that IMHO was lacking from the previous patch was
> support for unit veteran icons. Daniel Speyer made some for us, see
> http://www.leftist.net/perrin/tiles.png, and if we add support for
> these, that patch is ready to go in.
Current my code make allmost the same and IMHO is more flexible in use.
Next version should have expirience functionality that you can turn on/
off

Rafal