Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4449) revolution choice doesn't work

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4449) revolution choice doesn't work
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:38:35 -0700

--On Saturday, July 12, 2003 09:25:43 -0700 "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx"
<ChrisK@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 12:37:07PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
>> --On Friday, July 11, 2003 12:32:50 -0700 "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx"
>> <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > It shouldn't do anything here, if the user has ordered "Democracy"
>> > before. Or better the packet wasn't sent.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "shouldn't".  The problem is: how do we
>> tell  if this packet is a new revolution-ended packet, or a duplicate
>> one?  We  could do it with the introduction of a new static variable,
>> but this just  gives more possibility for bugs (on disconnect,
>> re-revolution, etc.).
>
> As I understand it, there are 2 packets, one for revolution ended and one
> for new government. The first one is for the popup dialog to appear. If
> the player already determined democracy as new government at the time he
> has started Revolution, just tell the client the new government. Or does
> the "revolution ended" packet have more functionality than just popup the
> Gov. dialog?

Problem is, both of these packets are just "player packets".  And if we
happen to get another player packet in between the end-of-revolution and
the choose-new-government one, the client has no way to tell it apart from
the original end-of-revolution packet.

> Another point. It should be possible for the player to change her mind
> whenever she wants to, as long as the revolution continues. If she started
> with "Democracy", she should be able to say "Republic" one turn later, or
> just "Revolution", to get the popup later on. And vice versa.

Yes, you can do this.

> A message should be printed which informs about the upcoming government
> form, or just "Revolution" if none is determined, each time she issues
> such a command. This is an important decision in the game and should have
> clear feedback.

You're right.  Also if you change government to your current form of
government there should be a message.  This should be one of the standard
game-type messages (going to message window, console and/or popup
window)...I'll look into it if nobody else does.

jason