Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:53:12 -0700

--On Thursday, June 26, 2003 03:27:53 -0700 Ben Webb
<ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:54:55AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Jason Short wrote:
>> > I think Per also agreed with omniscient POV.It is the simplest workable
>> > solution, and I don't see a need for anything more complicated just
>> > yet.
>>
>> On the other hand, I tested the new patch without omniscient POV and it
>> worked pretty well. So I'll jump off the opinionated bandwagon and let
>> you others duke it out.
>>
>> Maybe we could just commit the borders patch now with omniscient POV,
>> then discuss/add non-omni POV as a patch on top of that?

I'm in agreement with committing it in just about any form.  Having played
with it in its current form, I think this is better than omniscient POV.
OTOH it is more complicated and may soon be replaced by something even
better (once we have some more time to think).

> I'll split the patch into the main borders patch with omniscient POV,
> and a second patch to add non-omni POV (like I said, it's only a
> difference of a few lines of code). Then you can play with both. Watch
> this space...

Only a few lines of code?  With omniscient POV the server does not need to
track borders in the player map, nor put them in the savegame.  This
doesn't take that much code, but it is a fairly significant addition.

jason