Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:57:07 -0700

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:53:12AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> --On Thursday, June 26, 2003 03:27:53 -0700 Ben Webb
> <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'll split the patch into the main borders patch with omniscient POV,
> > and a second patch to add non-omni POV (like I said, it's only a
> > difference of a few lines of code). Then you can play with both. Watch
> > this space...
>
> Only a few lines of code?  With omniscient POV the server does not need to
> track borders in the player map, nor put them in the savegame.  This
> doesn't take that much code, but it is a fairly significant addition.

Yes, I know this - I did write the code, after all. ;) I never said it
was insignificant, just that it used little code. (The savegame support
accounts for most of this.) For a start, as Christian discovered,
savegames are not compatible between the two approaches.

Splitting the patch in any case makes sense, as the newer non-omniscient
patch includes other bug fixes and features that the omni one does not.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Never was a cornflake girl / Thought that was a good solution"