Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: building multiple units in a city

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: building multiple units in a city
From: "Geeslaka Geezonga" <geeslaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 05:53:47 -0500

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:48:28 +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:50:38AM -0500, Geeslaka Geezonga wrote:
>
> > I think that one way of reducing the effectiveness of ICS is to
> > allow more than one project to be worked on in a city at a time.

I should have said that this is a way of bringing large-pox up to the unit
producing level of small-pox.

> > The number of projects that could be worked on simultaneously could
> > be limited by the size of the city. e.g. with a size 2 city I could
> > build a mech. inf. and a barracks III at the same time
>
> > The shields for a city could be divided between projects according
> > to a priority rating similar to the resource factors in the CMA.(BTW
> > I think the slider should be a number box with up/down arrows to
> > adjust the value) The projects in progress could be stored in an
> > array (or vector for the c++ port)
> >
> > Also things should be left partially complete when production is
> > changed.  This makes more sense, as is shown below.
>
> > *Geeslaka impersonates a city manager reporting to the king*
> > Yes, we had two of three pyramids finished, but they can be
> > transmuted into legions quite easily, though at a substantial loss.
> > *Geeslaka ends impersonation
> > Partially completed (but not in progress) projects could be stored
> > in a seperate array (or vector) from the in progress projects.
> >
> > A similar feature for research would IMHO be very cool.
>
> This was proposed before but in a simpler version: if you finished the
> production of an item in one turn the remaining shields are spent on
> the next project. So a city with 33 shields suprplus could produce 3
> warriors per turn. I think that this is a good idea and should be
> implemented.

You say that it should be implemented up here...

> Space Empires has a checkbox "Distribute points equally" in the
> research dialog. I haven't found a reason to use it since there is no
> loss if you have a tech earlier.

I was thinking of something akin to the worklist. e.g. the user would add a
tech to the list and assign a priority.  That way the player would not be
wasting research on insignificant techs, but would be able to divide research
among techs of equal importance.

> For city production the only disadvantage would be the support costs
> during the construction. So if you build 3 expensive units and you
> currently would have them finished in turn 4, 8 and 12. So you would
> have to pay 12 turns worth support. If you however produce them in
> parallel all 3 would finish in turn 12 and you would have to pay 0
> turns of support. IMHO this is bad since it imbalance the game for no
> obvious reason.

But down here you appear to contradict your earlier statement.
And I intended this idea as a way of balancing the ability of small-pox to
build many units at once.(to give large-pox players more of a chance)
And you said nothing about my partially completed projects idea.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup